The database currently contains details of 992 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 308 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 661 newspaper articles, 252 maps and 104 documents. About 138 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: Address/Location: OS Grid Ref: Opened:
NOT KNOWN Type:
Could this be the Kings Head? - Don't think so - there are a lot of references to it.
1875 ref implies it's on the West of the river and bridge - which is roughly where the roundabout now is. (Pwllhobi is towards Glanyrafon)
1891 Census suggests it's at one end of Padarn Terrace, probably the village end. Shown on 1888 OSNotes:
Mrs Edwards landlady
Deaths: On the 18th inst, aged 82 years, Mr. William Roberts, Butcher, formerly of the King's Arms, Llanbadarn-fawr AO 20 April 1861
"TRANSFER OF LICENSE, The license of the King's Arms, Llanbadarn, was transferred from Peter Morgan to Ann Edwards" AO 28 Feb 1874
"P.C. Evan Evans stated that at about four o'clock in the afternoon he saw the defendant, with two other persons, standing at the door of the King's Arms public-house. They left that place, and proceeded across the bridge towards Pwllhobi, He awaited their return, and within a short time the defendant and another man made their appearance. He followed them, aud on reaching the big stone in the centre of the village, he saw James coming out at the back of the Black Lion Inn." AO 1st May 1875
Assault case (John Thomas, landlord) - see att
Hugn Hughes jun. granted a six day licence
No application to renew licence AO 3 Sept 1891
Kings Arms, John Theophilus, 57, Butcher wife MagdaleneAdditional information