The database currently contains details of 992 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 308 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 661 newspaper articles, 252 maps and 104 documents. About 138 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: Vale of Teifi Inn, Llanwenog
Other names: Vale of Teify, Vale of TivyAddress/Location: OS Grid Ref:
SN5195744153 probably Opened:
after 1978 Type:
It seems almost that it is the PH that is at the end of the bridge on the Llanwennog side on the 1888 25-inch map. This might have been referred to as being in Llanwennog rather than Llanybydder. Many reports describe it as 'Llanybydder', and in 1886 it was badly flooded by the Teifi. so it has to be very close to it!
The 1879 comments (see att) mention it is the last pub on the right before Llanybydder bridge.
It was still shown as PH on the 25-inch map revised 1972-1978Notes:
Petty Sessions: Lampeter; number on list: 32; name of premises: Vale of Teifi Inn; Parish / Place: Llanwenog parish; Licensee: Jones, Gwen; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : Elizabeth Davies, New Quay Road; free or tied: Free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 7. (1905 list)
"Claim for Possession. Messrs. Samuel Alsoppe and Sons, Burton-on-Trent. brewers, claimed possession of the Vale of Teify Inn, Llanybyther, and for double rent from Miss Gwenllian Jones, tenant. -Mr. Lloyd Morgan (instructed by Mr. Watkins), appeared for plaintiffs, and Mr. D. Bowen Evans, solicitor, Lampeter, for the defendant. Notice to quit had been given, and possession demanded, but as rent had since been offered and accepted by plaintiffs, Evans contended that it was a waiver of notice to quit, but the Judge gave a verdict for defendant with costs." WGWWA 23 Feb 1905Additional information