The database currently contains details of 1002 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 327 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 672 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 135 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: Penllwyndu Inn, Llandygwydd
Other names: Address/Location:
SA43 2LY OS Grid Ref:
before 1841 Closed:
open 2017 Type:
In the parish of Llangoedmor. A building is marked on the tithe map, but is not named. Named as PH on 1889 25-inch.
Closed in 1917, but seems to have re-opened at some stage
Base of an Ivorite Lodge (1874). Members of the lodge mentioned as attending a meeting in Newport Pem in 1841 (Welshman 22 Oct 1841)Notes:
1874 Ivorite meeting - see att
licensee: John Jones (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
"the license was granted, as was also that of Penllwyddu [sic] Inn to Mrs Jones, in the place of the late Mr John Jones, her husband. " WGWWA 11 Dec 1902
Petty Sessions: Lower Troedyraur; number on list: 5; name of premises: Penllwyndu Inn; Parish / Place: Llandugwydd; Licensee: Jones, Elizabeth; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : A Brigstock, Blaenpant; free or tied: Free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
Closed, Compensation £221
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)