The database currently contains details of 1002 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 327 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 672 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 135 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: Merionethshire Arms, Aberystwyth
Other names: Address/Location:
4 or 18 Northgate Street or maybe 20 OS Grid Ref:
SN5874781827 probably Opened:
after 1880 Type:
Seems to have previously been the Royal Arms
until Owen Jones took over in 1868Notes:
licensee: Owen Jones
source: Post Office directory, 1871
18 Northgate St, Owen Jones Mar 41 Innkeeper and Hawker, wife Margaret 40, son is 'cloth hawker'
"NOTICE OF REMOVAL. OWEN JONES begs to inform his Friends and the Public that he has REMOVED from the Merionethshire Arms to the CAMBRIAN INN, North Parade, Aberystwyth, where he hopes to be favoured with a continuation of their patronage and support. Mild and Bitter Ales, Porter, etc. Good Stabling." CN 23 Sept 1871
"The licence of the Merionethshire Arms was transferred from Owen Jones to John Jones" CN 29 Dec 1871
"On the other side of the turnpike road, now North Parade and Northgate-street, was a stone wall which ran from where Mr. Rowlands, the butcher's, shop now stands down to the turnpike gate, one end of which stood on the site now occupied by the Merionethshire Arms. " CN 6 Aug 1880
North Gate Street (a couple of doors from the gate) Margaret Jones Wid Public House Keeper